Saturday, March 31, 2012

March Madness

Today is the last day of March...the 31st...the 11th day of spring. There's an old saying about March that says something to the effect of "March came in like a lion, and went out like a lamb." At least I THINK that's what it's supposed to do. Well down here in Southern Oregon, in Klamath Falls, Oregon's "City of Sunshine", March came in like a lion and went out like a freaking hurricane. Literally. Right now it's snowing sideways. We have winds that are supposed to approach 40 mph, we're under a "winter storm warning, and the weather sucks. That seems to be a common subject in every one of my posts this year. Maybe we should move.

In spite of the nasty weather, I managed to get in a 4 mile run this morning. Going out was brutal, because the wind was in my face. It wasn't a direct headwind, but it was enough that it made running very tough. After about 1/2 a mile I came to a screeching halt, and told myself that to run in that kind of weather was ridiculous, walked 5 total steps, and then resumed my run. I knew that once I hit the two mile mark and turned around I'd have the wind at my back and could then pretend to be a runner, so that gave me something to look forward to...so on I went.

About 1 1/2 miles into the run I passed my wonderful wife (going the other direction, with the wind at her back) who was just past the midpoint of her 10 mile trek, and that gave me some encouragement. I told myself that if Janet could deal with the wind that I could too, so managed to pick my pace up a tad. At any rate, the run was good...after I made the turn.

If I knew how to post pictures I'd show you the current weather conditions. We now have over an inch of snow in our yard, and it's supposed to continue all day and most of the night. We need the moisture, but it would be nice if it would rain in the Basin, and snow in the mountains.

Oh well...no one forces us to live here.

2 comments:

  1. Good job for going. Weather sucks. It was absolutely pouring here this morning but now the suns out... I don't think we've seen the sun for a long, long time. I should run but have decided to take the rest of the weekend off.

    Maybe you should move... you'd be happy here in Eugene. :) ha ha

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think we'd do well in Eugene, Laurie. WAY too much rain, and besides that, I'm afraid of opossums and banana slugs.

    ReplyDelete